Q9: More Death

Question: What would you most like people to remember you for after you die? What would you like written on your tombstone?


Shortly after entering my undergrad, I did something I thought I would never do: I ordered something off of late night television.  It was a dual CD collection called "Classic Country: Great Story Songs."  I have to say, I felt very wary as I repeated my credit card number over the phone, listening to the strangely distant women on the other end of the line assure me that I would have my CD's very soon. 

On the album were such old-time hits as BJ the DJ, Big Bad John, and Ballad of the Green Berets.  I greatly enjoyed that album, being exposed for the first time to this music and lyric both creative and interesting.  Most of all I just like songs that have a story (more recently, I got free tickets to a concert featuring Mark Schultz.  I didn't really know much about him, but he started his set with the song "Walking Her Home," which is a story song.  That was all it took; I became a fan).  Anyway, though I enjoyed the album a lot, I remember talking to my Mom about it and telling her that there was one thing I noticed: Almost all of the songs feature death, and a lot of it.  This, of course, is why I bring up this story.  I am enjoying doing these questions, but as I come to question 9 and face death for the third time... well, lets just say I feel like I did as I listened to that album. 

On to the question.  I think I would want my tombstone to say this:

Andrew James Demoline
Nov. 10 1982 - Nov. 10 2082
God's
He lived in faith, hope, and love 
and these he leaves behind
in the lives of those who knew him. 

And that is also what I would like to be remembered for: for being the Lord's man, and for living the life he has laid out for me.  I have to say, however, that I war against my pride in this. I would love to be remembered  as a 'great'.  A great writer, a great speaker, a great leader, etc.  The idea of leaving my mark upon the world pulls at me a great deal. However, in the end, what I want more than anything is to leave Christ's mark on the world.  I say that as the 'right' answer, because it is.  I also say it as the 'true' answer, not because I can say that 100% of me is always in that place, but because that is my goal. 



p.s. definitely the strangest feeling at the end of a post right now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....