Books for Pastors






Nearly a month ago, while I was at a youth pastors retreatChris Throness asked me if I would blog a top 5 book list for pastors. Naturally, I said yes. I think I said yes before he even finished the sentence. 

But I am not sure if Chris realized that asking a book addict for a list of recommendations is a bit like asking Solomon to get married. 700 women later....

Well, thank the Lord, I am not that bad. No, my top 5 list only contains 25 books... OK, 27. 

How, you ask, does a top 5 list contain 27 books? Well, I have cleverly justified this five-fold expansion by writing up 5 top 5 lists. Yes, that's right, 5 for the price of 1! 

Not only that, but since I have five lists, I am going to spread out the posting of them over the rest of this week. So, not only have I cleverly found a way to recommend way more books than you want to hear about, I have also used said misdirection as a way to fill my blog for a week.  

For those of you with a niggling question at the back of your mind about my math (how does 5 lists of 5 books get us 27 books?) let me take a moment to assuage your worries. The math works, trust me. Read the lists and you will see. I may have cheated somewhere else, but the math works. 

A couple of disclaimers:
1. None of these lists are "in order." They are top 5 lists, but the book in spot 1 is not better than spot 5. 
2. I do not expect everyone to agree with my choices. In fact, I am looking forward to hearing how your opinion differs in the hopes of receiving some new book recommendations for myself! Moreover, I don't even know how long I will agree with these lists. After all, I am sure there are better books I haven't read, and better books yet to be published. 
3. I hope it doesn't need to be said, but while I have made these lists 'for pastors' they can help the rest of you to! 
4. The focus of these lists is for pastors in the west. In most cases, it makes no difference, but in a few it does.
5. I admit to a bias towards what I consider to be me more 'unique' books, or books I suspect fewer people have read. I have tried to keep this bias as slight as possible, but I am pretty sure it is still there. 
6. The bible isn't on this list because it is assumed to be accepted as the most important book for any and all pastors to read (duh). 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the upcoming week of lists of book recommendations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....