Tea and Crumpets on the Mount of Transfiguration

Matthew 17:1-13, Mark 9:2-13, Luke 9:28-36

Jesus goes up on a mountain to pray, taking with him only Peter, James, and John (can you imagine being a disciples who was left behind?). As Jesus prays, His face changes, His clothes become as bright as lightning, and Moses and Elijah drop by for tea and crumpets.

Ever wonder what they talked about? Me neither, at least not until now. Now, because I have to wonder. Not only that, I have to imagine and write down that conversation; it is my final assignment for my MDiv degree at Regent college.

The only clue we are given comes from Luke who tells us that "They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem."

As for me, every time I try to start writing this paper I either feel like I am being arrogant and foolishly academic, or ridiculously irreverent and irreligious. Does Moses greet Jesus with a "Yo, dude, how's it hanging?" or does he fall on his knees before his lord? Maybe both?

I know the key will be for me to get over myself and my hang ups before I will be able to write this, but that doesn't make it easy to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....