John Stott's Last Book?

I don't know if it really will be his last book or not (I would be very happy to find out it will not be!) but I recently purchased, and am now reading, The Radical Disciple: Some Neglected Aspects of Our Calling by John Stott.  

After reading Twilight, this book tastes and feels ridiculously good.  I think it would have anyway.  So, my review is forthcoming (not done the book yet).  In the meantime, some quotes:

"Here then are perhaps five main ways in which we are to be Christlike: we are to be like Christ in his incarnation, in his service, in his love, in his endurance and in his mission."

"Suffering is a huge subject in itself, and there are many ways to understand it.  But one stands out, and that is that suffering is part of God's process of making us like Christ."

From William Temple (quoted by Stott) "It is no good giving me a play like Hamlet or King Lear, and telling me to write a play like that.  Shakespeare could do it; I can't. And it is no good showing me a life like the life of Jesus and telling me to live a life like that.  Jesus could do it; I can't.  But if the genius of Shakespeare could come and live in me, then I could write plays like his.  And if the Spirit of Jesus could come and live in me, then I could live a life like his." Stott goes on from there: "God's purpose is to make us like Christ, and God's way is to fill us with his Holy Spirit."

"Where then shall we find the authentic Jesus? The answer is that he is to be found in the Bible - the book that could be described as the Father's portrait of the Son painted by the Holy Spirit."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....