Be Human
I just listened to a Yoko Kanno song, from the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, and it caught my attention. It's a good song in and of itself, but the lyrics hit me. Its about a robot who wants to be human, singing about all the things he would do if he were more human. But what struck me is that I wondered how many of us could sing this song, and many (or all) of the words would be true of us. How much of what it really is to be human do we ignore, delete, or replace for one of a million reasons. I'm to busy, it's not a good thing, it's not (insert appropriate religion, or other group, here. i.e. Christian), it doesn't fit the job, etc.

Lyrics:
I analyze and I verify and I quantify enough
one hundred percentileno errors, no miss.
I synchronize and I specialize and I classify so much
don't worry 'bout dreaming
because I don't sleep.
I wish I could at least 30 percent,
maybe 50 for pleasure
then skip all the rest.
If I only was more human;
I would count every single second the rest of my life.
If I just could be more human
I'd have so many little babies and maybe a wife.
I'd roll around the mud,
and have lots of fun,
then when I was done,
build bubble-bath towers and swim in the tub.
Sand castles on the beach,
frolic in the sea,
get a broken knee,
be scared of the dark and I'd sing out of key.
cuss when I lost a fight,
kiss and reunite,
scratch a spider bite,
be happy with wrinkles I got when I smiled.
Pet kittens til they purred,
maybe keep a bird,
always keep my word,
I'd cry at sad movies;
I'd laugh til it hurt.
I'd buy a big bike
and ride by the lake
and I'd have lots of friends
and I'd stay out late.
If I could just be more human
I would see every little thing with a gleam in my eye.
If only I was more human
I'd embrace every single feeling that came in my life.
Would I care and be forgiving?
Would I be sentimental and would I feel loneliness?
Would I doubt and have misgivings?
Would I cause someone sorrow, too?
Would I know what to do?
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see heaven?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....