Don Williams and I through the Ages

I realized I hadn't, in my busy-ness, put much of a personal nature up here lately. Some rants, some thoughts, thats it. This weekend was good, I finished my incredibly frustrating bioethics essay on saturday. I talked with Chapter, though never enough. And my Mom came up today. She took me out for a nice dinner, and to a Don Williams concert.

At least some of you probably have no idea who Don Williams is. He is a country singer, old fashioned, good country (for those of you who think no such thing exists, think again!). He was big back in the day, like 20 years ago, or even 15-12 yrs ago. He is also known as the "Gentle Giant". He has a voice so deep that even from the second balcony you can feel it rattle in your chest. He started to lose his popularity when music videos became the thing, because he refused to do them. He believes that part of listening to music is making your own pictures, some of your own story, so that each song means something different to each person. A man who values the imagination, rare in our day.

I started to listen to Don Williams whan I was young, so young I don't remember it. He is just kind of there in my earliest memories. I can remember listening to "You're My Best Friend" and excitedly telling my mom that I figured out who he was talking about in that song. When my mom responded "his wife" I said "No, it's God." Now, if you read the lyrics, its pretty obvious its his wife, still :)

I remember my favorite song, "Tulsa Time". Before I knew what it was called, or was old enough to really hear the lyrics, I thought the main line was "The Old man down the road". When I asked my Mom and Grandma what song it was, my Grandma, somehow, instantly knew what I was talking about. To this day, neither my Mom, nor I, can figure out where I heard that line, or how my Grandma knew.

I remember when I was 8, going to a concert. It was a surprise, I didn't know who was playing. When we got there, my parents bought my brother and I pops, and they ran into some family friends. These friends let slip who was playing, but somehow, standing right there, I missed it. Then we went in, and the announcer mentiond that Don Williams would be up soon, but the opening act was now coming on. I missed that one to, sitting in the audience. Finally, when she finished playing, she introduced Don Williams. I caught it that time, and boy was I excited. It was an excellent concert.

I remember my walkman, a blue sony, and how his tapes were my most frequently played for years. While I delivered papers, on long car rides, when I was supposed to be sleeping, or to fall asleep to. I entered a period in late junior high and highschool when I didn't listen to him very much, but I came back in university.

I remember reminiscing in my room in Lister Hall, the large 1st and 2nd year residence here at UofA, as I heard Tulsa Time once again, and listened to "Good Ole Boys Like Me", feeling old and young at the same time, which is odd considering that I am quite young. I listened to "I Believe In You", and enjoyed it immensely.

I remember a time, after going out with Chapter, but before we were engaged, when I hoped I could one day sing to her "You're my best friend". I also remember one day, while Chapter was visiting me in Calgary, when my mom told us that Don Williams was in concert tommorow. On a whim, we went to see if their were any tickets left. There were. Up until then, Chapter didn't really even know who he was, and I don't think she had heard his music. We both loved it. "Years From Now" is now a song we sing to each other.

Tonight, I made more memories of Don Williams, my Mom and I, as we saw him in concert again.

I think my biggest memory though, only barely ahead of the ones I just mentioned with Chapter, is getting up everyday for several months, and including in my morning prayers singing and praying "Lord I Hope This Day Is Good".
I've got it playing right now, why don't you pray it with me:

Lord, I hope this day is good
I´m feelin´ empty and misunderstood
I should be thankful Lord, I know I should
But Lord I hope this day is good

Lord, have you forgotten me?
I´ve been prayin´ to you faithfully
I´m not sayin´ I´m a righteous man
But Lord I hope you understand

I don´t need fortune and I don´t need fame
Send down the thunder Lord, send down the rain
But when you´re plannin´ just how it will be
Plan a good day for me?

Lord, I hope this day is good
I´m feelin´ empty and misunderstood
I should be thankful Lord, I know I should
But Lord I hope this day is good

You´ve been the King since the dawn of time
All that I´m askin´ is alittle less cryin´
It might be hard for the devil to do
But it would be easy for you

Lord, I hope this day is good
I´m feelin´ empty and misunderstood
I should be thankful Lord, I know I should
But Lord I hope this day is good...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....