We Thought We Heard The Angels Sing




We Thought We Heard the Angels Sing, by Lieutenant James C. Whittaker. 1943, Public Domain.

This is the tale of eight men lost in the pacific in 1942. Stranded on rafts with four oranges, no water, one watch, life jackets, a Bible, and a few flares, they hope for rescue and struggle to survive.

In the end, seven make it. On the way some find more than just hope of rescue; some find faith in God.

I came across this book because Helmut Thielicke referred to it in one of his sermons. It sounded like an interesting story so I looked it up. I was pleased to find it free online and I read it. This was the right choice. It is an excellent story, worth reading.

In reading that recommendation you should know that this is a book which fits into two genres I quite enjoy: Survival and Conversion.

One of the first fiction books I fell in love with was The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I read it multiple times and then read everything else I could find by Paulsen. It is the story of a 13 year old who survives a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness and survives for nearly 2 months before being rescued. I read it again earlier this summer.

One of the first non-fiction books I fell in love with was Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. I read it multiple times and then read everything else I could find by Chesterton. It is about many things and includes the story of how Chesterton came to faith. I read this book every 2-3 years.

Reading a book in which these two things came together was great. But apart from fitting my tastes so well, and coming with just the right amount of nostalgia despite my never having read it before, I stand by my recommendation that you read this book. We Thought We Heard The Angels Sing is a worth your time.

Conclusion: 4 Stars. Highly Recommended. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....