A Pastor's Words

As I write this, the first in a promised four months worth of ‘Pastor’s Word’ posts, I am struck by how little you need more words. If ever there were a culture with too many words then we who are buffeted by tens of thousands of words from hundreds of sources every day live in that culture.

The addition of the title ‘pastor’ does not improve upon this judgment. I, like you, am frail, fallen, failing, and failed. My words, insofar as they are merely that, offer no sustenance, relief, or hope.

If these posts are to have any value it will be found only insofar as they turn you away from me and towards the one whose word, and presence, offers these and much more.

If you take these posts and do not click them, or read them, or pass them on, but instead allow them to act merely as reminders to listen to Jesus, that would be OK. Still, I hope there is more here than that. 

But this reflection contains questions.

Who are you listening to? That is, whose words do you take seriously or obey?

Who are you listening for? That is, whose voice do you long to hear, search for, and desire?

Who, or what, defines you? That is, whose words do you take to heart, allowing to penetrate your everyday defenses?

Take, for example, these words from Psalm 105:

Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them.
The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands.
Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from the oppression of men, that I may obey your precepts.
Make your face shine upon your servant and teach me your decrees.
Streams of tears flow from my eyes, for your law is not obeyed.
Do they draw a response from you?

Or these, uttered about Jesus on the Mount: “This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to Him!”

Does it strike you that Moses upon the mountain received books of law while Jesus on the mountain receives but these few words? 

Does it make you want to listen? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....