12.9.14

Books I Like: Survival and Conversion

On Tuesday I mentioned two genres I enjoy: Conversion narratives and survival narratives. I also mentioned the first book I enjoyed in each category. This gave me an idea. Why not give a short list of books I enjoy and recommend in each of those two categories? Indeed. And so I am doing so today on my misc. post.

These lists are in no particular order. 


Conversion Narratives:

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton – I mentioned this in the book review on Tuesday.

Confessions by Augustine – I suppose you can’t have a list like this without Confessions on it. It really is a good book, though it is difficult reading if you are not used to reading older books.

God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew – Another book which has impacted my own life a lot, this is the story of Brother Andrew’s conversion but also his smuggling bibles into communist countries.

John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace by Jonathan Aitken – Incredibly well written biography of a man whose life story really is amazing. I know, that’s a lot of superlatives, but it is a good book.

Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis – His autobiography; well worth reading.


Survival Narratives:

The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen – Also mentioned on Tuesday’s post.

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe – Sometimes you just can’t beat the classics.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand – Superb. Similar to John Newton; this is an amazing story told incredibly well.

The Martian by Andy Weir – This is a sci-fi story, set in the very near future, about a man stranded on Mars. Gripping, but be aware there is a fair amount of profanity.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer – True story of the 1996 'Everest disaster'.  


If you have any recommendations to make in either of these categories then please do pass them on!

No comments: