Books I Like: Survival and Conversion

On Tuesday I mentioned two genres I enjoy: Conversion narratives and survival narratives. I also mentioned the first book I enjoyed in each category. This gave me an idea. Why not give a short list of books I enjoy and recommend in each of those two categories? Indeed. And so I am doing so today on my misc. post.

These lists are in no particular order. 


Conversion Narratives:

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton – I mentioned this in the book review on Tuesday.

Confessions by Augustine – I suppose you can’t have a list like this without Confessions on it. It really is a good book, though it is difficult reading if you are not used to reading older books.

God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew – Another book which has impacted my own life a lot, this is the story of Brother Andrew’s conversion but also his smuggling bibles into communist countries.

John Newton: From Disgrace to Amazing Grace by Jonathan Aitken – Incredibly well written biography of a man whose life story really is amazing. I know, that’s a lot of superlatives, but it is a good book.

Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis – His autobiography; well worth reading.


Survival Narratives:

The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen – Also mentioned on Tuesday’s post.

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe – Sometimes you just can’t beat the classics.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand – Superb. Similar to John Newton; this is an amazing story told incredibly well.

The Martian by Andy Weir – This is a sci-fi story, set in the very near future, about a man stranded on Mars. Gripping, but be aware there is a fair amount of profanity.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer – True story of the 1996 'Everest disaster'.  


If you have any recommendations to make in either of these categories then please do pass them on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....