What's Next?

A new year seems to demand new resolutions, if only by weight of expectation and pressure of resurrection. We must envision what lies before us, mold it and craft it into a shape pleasing to our desires, and so seize the future before it seizes us. We must stand, heads held high, and bravely wrest from the unknown something of worth. We must PLAN!

Well, I don't know about all of that. Frankly, I have always liked the fact that the un-aimed arrow never misses. As for shaping my future... I'll leave that God. He's better at it anyway. 

But for all that, I do have some ideas about what is will change, or what is next, for me and blogging. Three things in fact. (the rest will stay the same)

First of all, I will be taking on very few book reviews this year. At least, very few free books that come with the requirement of review. Don't worry, I will still review books. 

Looking back on the past year I realized a few things. First of all, I read far too many bad books. They were all books I signed up to review. Secondly, my harsh reviews are where I have spent the most time. I think this is because when it comes to recommending books, I feel the need to fully explain why you shouldn't read a book while I am comfortable just telling you when you should read a book because I know the book will speak for itself. Thirdly, I have been reading far too many books published in the last 10 years. 

What, then, is the solution to this problem? 

These guys:


Don't know who they are? That's OK, I don't either. At least, I don't know specifically who is in this picture. As a group, they are the Doctors of the Church. 

Over the next year, I will slowly work my way through some of the writings of these eigh great men of the early church: Ambrose, Augustine, Jerome, Gregory the Great, John Chrysostom, Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus, and Athanasius of Alexandria. 

Obviously I will not be reviewing these in same way as usual. They are clearly worth reading. Instead, I will talk about what they are teaching me, and which books may be specifically worth your time, a kind of best of the best I suppose. Of course, I have to finish off my other commitments first. I have one more book to write a review about, and a second to read and review. 

Secondly, I will be posting more of the material I develop for our church. I regularly preach, write and teach Sunday School curriculum, write and lead bible studies, and do topical presentations for various fellowships. I might as well see what you all think and make the material available to other pastors. 

Thirdly, I am going to start randomly putting up link posts. That is, I will collect articles and posts I think are particularly good and, whenever that list reaches critical mass, I will post them so that you can enjoy them too. 

I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to 2012!

Comments

Charlotte said…
Sounds good to me!

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....