Do You Want To Go Away As Well?


After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.
 So Jesus said tothe Twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?

- John 6:66-67

Today I asked a classroom of high school students this same question, though phrased differently. 

How do I follow Jesus? Is that still a question you want an answer to? Is it still a journey you want to take?

I am hardly capable of giving answer myself, let alone expecting an answer of them, but I try. 

 Of course I want to follow Jesus! Of course this is a question I want an answer to! Of course this is a journey I want to take!

And Peter replied "Even if all fall away, I never will... Even if I have to die with you I will never disown you." 

Yes!

All that insistence did not help Peter in Gethsemane. 

Are such answers, such confidences, out of reach? Can I not say with my whole heart that I WILL FOLLOW!?!?

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?

Surely the story does not end there? 

You know it does not. Peter had fallen many times before, as have you, but never so far and never so hard. Yet, with a question thrice repeated the Lord raised him up. 

"Do you Love me?"

And with a yes, Peter arose. Though he had faltered, he kept his word and died for his Lord... Do you love Jesus?

I do. 

That is more important than your commitment or your desire. 

My hope is not in my own faith...

Never in yourself, and never for a thing, but always in God alone, and in his faithfulness. 

As the Psalmist says: But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.

Yes. Do you hope in Jesus? Do you know he is faithful?

I do. 

That is more important than any hope in your own faith, for it will falter and it will fail. 

And when times of trouble come?

Remember these things. Remember that even Peter rose again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....