On My Mind #3

Haven't done one of these in a while.

Obviously, I've been thinking about the books I am reading; but you can see my other posts for that.

Now that I am done school (YIPEE!), the next 'project' to work on is getting ordained. Right now the Alliance district offers two tracks for ordination. One is called the individual track, and the other the cohort track. Apparently this second is being pushed. What's the difference? Well, you read the same books, meet all the same requirements, but if you are on the cohort track you meet twice a year with your cohort (group of other pastors doing the same process) to talk, hear speakers, and so on. I believe there is also interaction from a distance over the year. So, its the same program but one offers more input/community and takes more time and money. I really don't want to do the cohort track... My job takes me away from my family for overnight trips enough already!

This week is pretty sweet though. I have some time to look ahead and plan for big events (like History Maker Conference; good times), some time at home more than normal (last week was super busy, so I am taking half of today off; and its a long weekend). Plus, we are doing the stations of the cross at our good Friday service tomorrow, and I always enjoy those a lot.

Speaking of History Makers, I hope that this conference works out really well. Our youth group planned on going to Legacy Youth Conference, but that fell through due to lack of people registering (bad timing though, very bad timing). HM2010 better do better!

A couple weeks ago, Kristina and I got to go to Point of Grace/Mark Schultz concert, and now I want to get some CD's by Schultz.


Oh, and these quotes:

I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can’t stop eating peanuts.
Orson Welles

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx

The experience of watching television has become the social and intellectual glue that holds us together, our ‘core curriculum,’ our church.
James Twitchell

The answers to life’s problems aren’t at the bottom of a bottle. They’re on TV!
Homer Simpson

We are threatened by a new and peculiarly American menace. It is not the menace of class war, of ideology, of poverty, of disease, of illiteracy, of demagoguery, or of tyranny, though these plague most of the world. It is the menace of unreality.
Daniel Boorstin

Nothing is as ruinous to the character as sitting away one’s time at a show, for it is then, through the medium of entertainment, that vices creep into one with more than usual ease.
Seneca (Roman stoic philosopher writing 2000 years ago)

Comments

Serena T said…
nice quotes ;)i love peanuts!! but adge hates them.. sad thats why i cant make him peanut butter and jelly sandwich =(

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....