A Systematic First: Unbounded Love


During my second year of university, fueled by the discover of Crux that I mentioned in this post, I started visiting Christian bookstores. Nothing I found in Alberta matched up to Crux (until I found Pilgrim's used books in Calgary which, sadly, is no longer around). Still, one does what one can. 

On one such visit I bought my first systematic theology: "Finney's Systematic Theology: The Complete and Newly Expanded 1878 Edition."  600+ pages of theology from the engineer of revivals. It sits on my shelf, unread to this day. I still tell myself I will read it sometime, if only out of historical interest, but it may never happen. 

Why did I buy it? Three reasons. A friend pointed it out and said something like "this is the kind of book you should read." I had a hunger for deeper biblical and theological learning. I was sinking into the "Arminian/Calvinist" debate and Finney seemed like he might help (And who knows, he might have). 

Why didn't I read it? Three reasons, though not necessarily good ones. I started reading quite a few other books on theology and biblical studies. I found more recent authors to help in the debate. It's a thick book and I didn't have enough practice reading long volumes nor enough motivation to overcome my hesitation. 

What does it have to do with this post? Well, in that same season I did actually get my first taste of systematic theology. Not from Finney, but from Clark Pinnock* and Robert Brow. This book, read quickly upon purchase, was the beginning of my theological reading. 

In Unbounded Love Pinnock and Brow seek to introduce and outline what they call "Creative Love Theism." It is not a full systematic theology but it is structured in a similar way. It's four sections cover the doctrines of God, Sin, Salvation, and Faith. Creative love theism is "a vision of God who, having created us to enjoy his love, does everything to enable us to participate in grace to the full." It insists that God's love extends to all humanity, asserts that seeing God as a parent is properly our fundamental image of God, and teaches that God walks in mutual relationship with human beings who delight him. The emphasis, in this, is on God's generosity, vulnerability, and on relationship. Within this, Sin is conceived as primarily a spurning of the the Father's love, salvation is primarily about reconciliation, and faith as trusting fellowship in the love and goodness of God. They do not seek to eject other images (God as judge, sin as a disturbance of God's justice, and so on) but to re-position them around what they see as an appropriate center. 

This book was a breathe of fresh air to me. I am naturally an organizer - in terms of how I think, not in terms of the neatness of my work space, which is itself organized without being tidy - and I seek and enjoy clarity a great deal. I can completely disagree with an author and still greatly enjoy their writing if it is laid out well, explained clearly and simply, and linked together in a way that flows. 

In my second year of university I knew a lot of Christian 'stuff' but I didn't have any way of organizing it. It didn't fit together well, I wasn't clear, and I didn't know how things related. I wouldn't have been able to explain this then, but my Christian thinking was disordered. Unbounded Love was the first in a series of books to aid me in ordering my thoughts in order to seek greater clarity and consistency. 

For one, simply to be introduced to systematic theology was very helpful. Further, Pinnock and Brow connected the dots, so to speak, regularly relating ideas back to the trinity and other key points in Christian theology. They began to fit together doctrine and behavior in a way that made sense. In each of these ways they began to order my thinking or, at least, to show me how it could be ordered. 

Take this paragraph as an example of ordering and holding things together: "In terms of experience, faith is an awakening to God, when we recognize our Savior, feel sorry for what we have done and experience thankfulness for the new relationship offered us. It makes us free to be human, to give ourselves to God and live a life of love that corresponds to the love of the Trinity. The path of faith is a twofold movement of love towards God and love toward our neighbor. It requires us to put God and God's cause first - that is, the cause of reconciling and restoring human beings." 

Yes, it is pretty straightforward. Yes, I would have found similar formative influence in any good theology text. This, however, was the one I read. 

As for the debate I was exploring (Arminian/Calvinist) Pinnock and Brow were the first (though far from the last) authors I read who stepped outside of the regular spectrum. I would come to learn how stiflingly narrow is the usual frame of that debate! This was the beginning of that journey. This was the second way in which this book formed me. 

Finally, I had no way of knowing this then, but voices which are both pastoral and intellectual are rare. It is easy to find someone who is one or the other. Such voices, and such books, abound. Some of them are very good. But to this day I have an appreciation and a need for people who are both. My favorite authors, my favorite seminary professors, and many individuals who have influenced me personally fall into this category. Pinnock is one such author. I am sure that my appreciation for such voices is part of how God made me, but I can't help but wonder if it wasn't Unbounded Love that awakened me to this fact. 

Allow me to finish with some of the final words of this book. It struck me, as I read these, that I still pastor with these theological assumptions.

"God is speaking to all of us: 'Whatever you have done, come home, just as you are. Do not dress up, do not try to appear worthy. I receive and forgive you - my grace will transform and change you.'

We celebrate the mystery of God's love and acceptance. The power that brought the world into being is working to bring out the potential of every creature. God's salvation makes it possible to realize our potential in partnership with God. Our creation in God's image was the beginning of the process that comes to fruition when we respond to the offer of God's gracious presence. 

God's grace is with us, calling us out of self-centeredness into a life of love, sustaining us in our halting efforts to serve God, granting us the gift of God's self-communication."




*  Note on Clark Pinnock:
Clark H. Pinnock is a figure of some controversy. In 2003 he was examined by the Evangelical Theological Society as to whether or not he was able, in light of his publications, to stand by their statements of belief. He passed this examination and was not voted out of the society. Among other things, he has garnered controversy as an annihilationist, an inclusivist (of his own particular type), and an open theist. It is therefore necessary for me to note, more formally than normal given that this should be assumed in all of my posts, that his book appearing on my list is in no way an endorsement of his theological positions. A book can be formative without gaining my full agreement! Nor do all of Pinnock's books embody the completeness of his later positions. In fact, one of the things I deeply admire about Pinnock is how he adjusted his position as his mind was changed through discussion and scriptural study. 



Note: This post is part of a series which I began here. To see all the posts in the series click the label at the bottom of this post "20yrs40bks".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness: A Hard Word From Luther

A Good Tree Bears Good Fruit....

Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty